What do men want?
This is a genuine Q for the men out there. Here’s your chance to get us wimmen sorted once and for all! I want to know what you want from females / from a relationship. (If you’re gay, you are likely to skew my results so be-have, thank you!) cos I am prepared to go on record as saying I think I KNOW what a man wants from a woman but I’d love some debate on this, from boys and girls alike.
See I think part of the problem with relationships is that both parties – whilst cheerfully entering into the relationship – fundamentally want different things from said relationship!
Anyway, I want some answers from real people not articles .. And as previously stated, I am prepared to go on a limb and say what I, in my experience – think men want or value from a woman in a relationship. Here goes:
1. He wants you to look good. He wants to get a buzz when he takes you to work functions or to hang with his mates and they check you out. But don’t panic, you do not need to be a super model, after all: he signed up for you looking as you do now. But he will appreciate you taking pride in how you look even after you’re an item.
Oh and ladies: he doesn’t want to know about lip bleach, brazilians or leg waxing. Ever.
2. He wants to think that you’re interested in his job, his car, in things he finds interesting. But he doesn’t necessarily want you to come to footy with him or to hang out with him and his mates. There is a line. Find out where it is and don’t cross it without invitation.
3. He wants to feel that you believe in him. Obviously if he thinks he is going to the moon and he’s a street sweeper, there may be some issues to deal with but overall “supporting” your man is important.
4. He wants you to be a firecracker in the sack. Not to be squeamish.. Well, if he suggests extensive use of gimp gags then by all means – squeam away! But he wants to have regular sex with you and not feel like he’s a hassle or that he isn’t the best lover you’ve ever had.
And never .. ever .. discuss your ex’s performance in the sack. Never. In the back of his mind, your man will wonder if you do (or will do) the same about him..
5. He wants you to cook for him. Sorry but he does.. Even if you’re no Nigella in the kitchen. It’s that whole Mother / nurture thing. They are hard-wired to enjoy it.
Trick for young players though: Start as you mean to go on. If you don’t mind cooking every single meal for the duration of your relationship then push him out of the kitchen in those early days.
He’ll soon stop trying to help and you’re gonna be left in the kitchen alone. Happy with this? Fine .. if you think you may not be, long term .. change the starting position!
And ya know what? I reckon that’s about it. Men are far simpler than women in their requirements as a rule. Do you think I’m on the right track with my list? What would you add or change?
For a little light relief check out the book title below: