USA – Slightly off topic ;)
Posted by lifeinthefarcelane
I’ve been to the US a few times and without fail come home raving about what a fantastic time I had. I dunno if I just get lucky, but the people I meet .. The experiences I have make me think very fondly of the place.
I love that total strangers take you in and treat you like family (I’m embarrassed at the number of free meals I score when there, after some random person invites me home) everyone is just so polite & helpful.. they stop to give directions, or heck even drive you to where you’re walking .. it’s very cool.
I plan on more trips there cos yeah you guys have a fairly sizeable country – so I have to keep coming back! 😉
Having already been there before, there’s a heap of stuff I’ve seen / done.. But set out below is some of the things I still want to see or do, on future trips .. By no means is this the definitive list so if there’s anything very obvious missing, that you think I might enjoy please let me know!
1. Go to Superbowl. I have NO bloody idea how you guys play football but I want to experience the atmosphere!
2. Spend a day riding the roller-coasters at 6-flags
3. Eat a twinkie. Just so I can say I have .. !
4. I want to rent a cabin at Lake Tahoe .. Drink hot chocolate and read books and relax in what I am told is a gorgeous location.
5. NASCAR. Engine fumes, hot dogs, dust clouds and speed!
6. Hushpuppies. I’ve had deep fried jalapenos. Cornbread. BBQ everything. Deep fried corn on the cob (love it) chicken fried steak in a very kitsch diner in the heart of TX. I’ve had okra (yum!) I’ve had grits (less yum). I have yet to try hushpuppies!
7. I want to go to Dairy Queen (Can I get twinkies there?)
8. See the Autumn trees up on the East Coast.
9. Experience a White Christmas, starting @the Rockefeller tree lighting.
10. Rent a convertible and drive Route 66, just stopping where and when I want to.
And I know it’s been topical on other blogs – the US national anthem is such an difficult song to do justice to – well this is my favourite rendition of it. Possibly influenced by the fact I was at this game (I wanna say in ’08) with friends, when it was sung .. It still gives me chills to hear it..